Throughout 2016, Artscape and its project partners conducted an extensive process of engagement and consultation in order to build a Community Vision with members of the Weston neighbourhood. We are delighted to present the community vision statement for this project in development:
Artscape Hub at Weston Common is a gathering place that welcomes and is open to the whole of this community.
Artscape Hub at Weston Common is a platform for creative talent and participation, a supportive home for creative people and organizations and a place that celebrates and reflects this diverse community’s histories, cultures and traditions.
Artscape Hub at Weston Common is a vibrant creative community that stimulates economic revitalization and builds community pride and confidence.
The community consultation included:
- Establishing a Community Steering Committee
- Stakeholder meetings with groups and individuals
- Presence at 50+ community events (festivals, BBQs, Open Houses, Farmers’ Market, events at local organizations, libraries, etc.)
- Circulating a Community Visioning Survey (309 completed surveys received!)
- Running a Request for Expressions of Interest (REOI) process
- Sharing information through a project mailing list (400+ subscribers)
- Visioning Workshop, attended by 75 participants
In our survey, we asked respondents to tell us what activities they wanted to see in the new hub. Here are the responses:
55% Community events and festivals
55% Workshops and classes
53% Performances (music, dance, theatre, spoken word, etc.)
39% Training for young people wanting to work in music, film, fashion, photography, etc.
27% Arts exhibitions and showings
25% Meetings and other activities in bookable rooms
22% Artist studios and arts organizations
13% Assistance/incubation for people wanting to start new cultural businesses